Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Perot for D Magazine



Here's a very quick little Illo I did about a month ago for D Magazine. I know . . . the idea is a bit cliche, Perot with "Dumbo-like" ears in all . . . but it is what the mag requested. It helps that the art director is great to work with, and that goes a long way in my book. Life isn't all about me and how I can better serve myself. Sometimes you need to serve others in order to receive joy and sanity in this world? Know what I mean?

I don't know much about the actual story . . . all I know is that Perot has re-located EDS somewhere outside Dallas . . . ?

I didn't have as much time to spend on this piece as I would have liked. If I remember correctly, I was in the middle of two other commissions that were also due that same week. In these situations, I do what I can to simplify yet get the same idea across to the viewer that the a.d. wanted. It is important when I feel rushed that the work still maintains my "look" and "quality". To do this, I spend the most time on keep areas that I know the viewers eyes will look at first, like the eyes and hands . . . after enough time is spent there, I begin to simplify and pull back a bit.

I prefer spending more time on my sketches and planning of a piece, working out the composition and so forth . . . If I had more time, I would have done things a bit different, but for what it is, I had me some fun!

I've heard from the A.D. that the Editor and folks at the mag got a real kick out of it . . . to hear that always feels good. I guess the editor or someone at the mag knows Mr. Ross Perot and had a giclee print made and framed and then delivered to him for his birthday. Would love to see his reaction when seeing the cartoon I painted of him.

10 Comments:

Blogger Praveen said...

lol, that's cool

earwings...

4:31 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Aller said...

Love the hands in this piece, really like hearing about the process and how it is working with editors. Thanks for letting us in your world for a moment, hope you and your family have a great holiday!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Adrian Lubbers said...

Very Cool.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Ray Gardner said...

Very cool. And maybe a new customer as well. Didn't Fluharty have an original painting bought by John Bolton?

5:33 PM  
Blogger Miguel Garrido . illustrator said...

Very elegant the design and composition!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Caricature Girl said...

I like hearing what you focus on in preparation for your work.
~Cathy

1:30 AM  
Blogger Moyse said...

Yeah, weird concept, but done in your usual professional manner. Certainly a 'Seiler' piece!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Jenea said...

Hihihi! Awesome!!!! It's like Amerikan elephant!!!!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Su Haitao said...

Hi Jason, You are always constantly awesome works, you are the most talented artists, my friend, wish you have a wonderful holiday!

9:47 AM  
Blogger mrityunjay said...

wow!
superb jason.
merry christmas.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners