Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland concept art: Tweedles



This is another character that I worked on with my friend Bobby Chiu. Bobby did the initial sketch of the Tweedle shape and proportions and then passed it onto me to do my thing. I had a lot of fun working on this creepy little boy. I had an image in mind before I began to paint, so I found some references to help me reach what I was going for, but also took a bunch of pictures of my oldest daughter Isabeau in various lighting. I've attached some of my references below.

The twin girls from "The Shining" were an influence as was the obese man in the movie "Seven". I was in a park with my daughter Isabeau and was inspired by a couple kids that I saw playing. The skin on their forehead was so transparent that you could see these blue veins and it was so cool . . . I couldn't wait to get back to my studio to finish my Tweedle painting. That little detail was exactly what I was looking for. To finish it off I added a bit of the forest floor at his feet, to tie everything together.

My goal with all the concept art that I worked on was to try and capture a "feeling" something that would hopefully translate well into film. I was pleased to see these details were not lost along the way, that they made it into the film.




Detail of face.



Our revision after feedback from Burton.





One of the many pictures I took of Isabeau for lighting and expression reference . . . she was only 4 at the time, but what a fantastic model she was. She made all sorts of faces for me to work with, she was great!




One of my references for the veins.




Hand reference.





Reference for body frame and so forth.



Face reference.




This picture was taken at the "Curiouser & Curiouser" show at Gallery Nucleus in L.A. A small sculpt created of a Tweedle for the film.

19 Comments:

Anonymous joe hox said...

Marvelous stuff! Thanks for showing your reference material. It's helpful to see your process.

9:04 AM  
Blogger alex fine illustration said...

I actually thought about your work when I first saw the preview. The concept art looks great!

9:41 AM  
Blogger J. Anthony Kosar said...

Dude, all the concepts are seriously kick ass! Nice job, you should definitely be proud! I can't wait to see the film to share in your pride, "I know the guy who designed that!" ;)

10:21 AM  
Blogger kencoogan said...

Beautiful Jason. Kind of has a Mark Ryden feel to it! All these concept art pieces are just amazing.

10:36 AM  
Blogger ïoO said...

Awesome peaces! Very interesting post .Thanx to share the process before drawing...

11:29 AM  
Blogger Juan M. Santana said...

great job jason!!!!

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great woooow I love the Alice concepts so much. You can see the resemblance with your concept of the tweedle and the tweedle in the film it's almost exactly the same! Really great Jason, I'm very curious if you got some more concepts!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Awesome man! Love it, I especially love the alf shirt that the big kid is wearing in your reference photos!hahahaa! Seriously great paintings!

1:39 PM  
Blogger charles Da Costa said...

beautiful pieces jason !
the process very very interesting
I love !!!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful work, Jason!
What a coincidence! I didnt know that you had done those drawings from Alicia. Even now, I just saw this post, but I didnt understand so much, because my english is very poor.
Did you use your daughter as a model to copy the light to do an illustration? Sometimes I did that too.
In my blog there is a post with an interview where I told them about you and others joung illustrators wich I admire a lot.
Thank you for your comments
Un abrazo

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Esz said...

Baaah so creepy!!! The expression is perfect and I can definitely see the fat man from Se7en in there. Awesome :-D

3:40 PM  
Blogger David Colman said...

awesome stuff man..I love that you used a pciture of me as a child for reference.. I loved that ALF shirt..I rarely took it off

4:50 PM  
Blogger Mack said...

Fantastic just fantastic!!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Jorge Restrepo H. said...

WONDERFUL! CONGRATS JASON AND THANKS FOR SHARE. ALWAYS TO SEE YOUR WORK IS A PLEASURE.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Haitao Su said...

You always have many amazing works, and each one piece is excellent! Looking forward to see you interview reply! :D

8:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful stuff Jason I've enjoyed seeing each and every one of this series - your attention to detail and showing us your reference work was a treat.
Thanks for showing your processes and many deserved kudos to you !

11:09 PM  
Blogger Eugen Caitaz said...

Hihi! I hope that soon you will find here, Tim Burton's comments! He have blog???? ;)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fantastic. You captured an awesome mood in there!!!

9:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

good work dude

bapaknaga
cars auto review
asfadriver

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners