Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Robert Bauer Sketch and then some . . .




I've just returned home after a nice week away with my wife and girls! I of course had to do some sketching and drawing while away, so for this post I thought I'd share a few sketches from my sketchbooks.

This is Robert Bauer the current president of the International Society of Caricature Artists (ISCA). Before the awards ceremony at the NCN's (now the ISCA) convention, there was an auction held. In the auction were original drawings and paintings by Tom Richmond, Ray Alma, myself, Ismael Roldan, Court Jones, Joe Bluhm, and Jan Op De Beeck. Robert Bauer won the highest bid for my work. Robert will get an original acrylic painting of himself painted by yours truly. The above is the study for this painting.



While away on my trip I picked up a new sketchbook at Wal-Mart of all places. It's a great size, 8.5x11 toned paper . . . fun stuff to sketch on. I didn't have a white color pencil or charcoal with me, would have been nice to add some highlights here and there . . . will bring one along from now on. On this page is a quick sketch of my pal from New York Fred Harper with the hair and the nose! The back of the head sketch is my friend Paul Moyse from the U.K., and the other smaller doodles are cartoon sketches of Robert Bauer. All sketches done with prismacolor pens or ball point pen.







I'm going to be doing a small oil of this dog for a past student of mine . . . these are some quick little sketches I did for prep. There's only subtle differences between the sketches. I have something particular in mind that I'm going for with it, now I know what I want to do when it comes time to paint.






These sketches are of my friend Roger Hurtado, again done with prismacolor pens.






When I won the Gold Nosey and walked up on stage to receive my award, I was also handed a new sketchbook set made by Faber-Castell. A nice little set, comes with a set of graphite pencils, a sharpener, eraser and a nice little sketch pad. This page of sketches is my first sketch in this book . . . sketched while waiting for my flight in the Raleigh/Durham airport. These two sketches were both done very quickly as I was trying to capture both subjects with as little line as I could . . . trying to keep things more simple and fun.






I was watching this show called "American Jail" made by the same folks who put out "COPS". An entertaining show . . . raw footage of people being brought into jail. There were so many fun characters that I had to get a sketchbook out and have some fun. I sketched these two guys out while watching them in their jail cell. These sketches were done in that same Faber-Castell sketchbook, this time sketching with a .005 prismacolor pen.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the sketches man! Very inspiring :)

11:02 AM  
Blogger Adam Temple said...

Thanks for the comment man! I'm lovin the sketches, you're making me want to caricature again...

12:26 PM  
Blogger jordi said...

Excellent job !
Very well!!!

12:32 PM  
Blogger RobCarey said...

Fantastic work! Great blog.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Great sketches, Jason- especially the one of Robert Bauer; you really captured his personality.

1:59 PM  
Blogger charles Da Costa said...

beautiful! beautifil! congratulations

2:57 PM  
Blogger ...Larry said...

absolutely fun stuff!!!! A good laugh...!!!

3:36 PM  
Blogger sensei said...

jason I love your pursuit of perfection.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Paul Moyse said...

Jesus, these are awesome, I've hardly sketched at all since the con, now I feel guilty!

I have to say though, I think you made my nose too big!;-)

4:19 AM  
Blogger 渡辺孝行/TAKANABE said...

So cool sketch!!!
Thank you show to us.

6:28 AM  
Blogger ramanjit said...

hi sir,
(robert bauer sketch and then some...)i like this sketch very very much. im learning caricature these days but i cant do live sketch. can u tell me the basics of caricature drawing.ill be realy thankful to you.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Scott Hamilton said...

Awesome Jason! I'm actually going to sketch at lunch right now.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Faboun'e said...

Great job again n again ..!!!

2:28 PM  
Blogger charles Da Costa said...

you are one of my favorite artist. I love your work.I did the Ramones, please critic my drawing.

5:01 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

I think you just won another Nosey on this work Jason... unbelievable and I think I'll reach for my sketch pad now.

11:17 PM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thanks again everyone for your encouragement! It wouldn't mean as much if you were a bunch of hacks, but much respect from me to you on your work as well! Thanks for your kind words!

Ramanjit, I teach an online class on caricature, the class covers drawing, painting, anatomy and much more, you can check it all out at Schoolism.com

Charles, I'll check out your Ramones piece!

10:37 AM  
Blogger ARI said...

I love your work. Man, you´re great.

10:48 AM  
Blogger stephen Silver said...

Great sketches!!! love the robert one

2:05 PM  
Blogger J. Anthony Kosar said...

What great expressions you get! Love that first one!

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners