Saturday, December 26, 2009

Mooky Acrylic



This is a small acrylic I was commissioned to paint for artist Bill Wray.
A gift painted for Sharon . . . this is their African Grey, "Mooky".

Bill wanted something somewhat caricature-ish . . . and I thought it would be funny to paint something that has the feeling of the old Dutch Flemish paintings . . . a bit of artist humor perhaps?

I scanned the painting in but ended up with horrible results . . . so unfortunately the only decent copy I have of the painting is this digital photo. At least the colors in this photo are close to the actual painting. I need to get a better scanner!

Acrylic 9"x12" on panel




Bill scanned the painting in and sent this version for me . . . the original is something in between these two images . . . you get the idea anyways. Here's what Bill wrote about my painting, on his blog . . . it's truly an honor for me to have painted this for Bill and Sharon . . . I have much respect for Bill and his work.

"Here is a painting by Jason Seiler I had commissioned for Christmas. Sharon and I are thrilled with it. He did a seamless blend of caricature and Old Dutch master painting. The best part is looks just like him, a feat since all birds look alike."
-William Wray

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

REally nice job- great color and detail, and I'm sure it's better in person.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Paul Moyse said...

Beautiful job Jason. Merry Christmas my friend, and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Bob Fingerman said...

That's great.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Eugen Caitaz said...

ah....hahahah! Looks funny like ever!!! When i saw on this picture, I remember my the best friend, -my little parrots- Rikki!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

Very cool man! Has a very effective quality of light to it. Love the caricature of it too.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Lester DiLorenzo said...

Oustanding!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Aaron Wilkin said...

Awesome man!!!!!! Merry Christmas, hope u had a good one!!

9:12 PM  
Blogger A. Riabovitchev said...

Brilliant picture!:o)
Happy Hollidays Jason!

2:53 AM  
Blogger kencoogan said...

Haha! Could this be the world's first caricatured parrot??
Either way, it's a beautiful painting!!

3:48 AM  
Blogger Barry O'Donoghue said...

Beautiful painting Jason.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Jorge Restrepo H. said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR JASON!!!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Juan M. Santana said...

buenisimo!!!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Sagan Lacy said...

One of my favorite works from you! very beautiful design and execution. Reminds me a bit of Fluharty!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful painting, Jason. Great lighting and very beautiful and subtle use of colors. The distortion is awesome (as usual...)
Happy new year!!

1:24 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Sharon and I keep marveling how much it has the little details that make it look just like him. A real feat considering they all look alike...
Best of all you transcended pet portraiture and made it into master painting!

Thanks for making our Christmas!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Jason you did a wonderful job. I just love the shoe lace in his foot, which we call his anxiety string.

Thank you so much... it's amazing!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Lil Artroom said...

So damn amazing!!! You have a asume talent homie. Hoping to get to your level one day with a lot of practice.

9:49 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Mookie look'n good my friend! Best on the birth of '10....

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much does it cost to get a commissioned painting like this?
Do you post the commissioned work on here or can it be private?

5:25 AM  
Blogger ahmed said...

حشرات ونمل ابيض

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners