Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thom Yorke: For the Birds




I know this is very different from what I normally do, people always expect tight rendering and so forth. I enjoy that kind of work, but I also LOVE work that is loose, painterly, and sketchy. I enjoy moody palettes, and I love to paint, and love to sketch. So for an experiment of sorts I decided to have some fun and play around with my style a bit, mixing all that I love into one piece.

This doesn't mean that everything I do will have this look, however, I would like to develop and explore this path a bit to see where it may lead? I feel it's important to mix things up a bit, trying something new can be as good as therapy. I had a lot of fun messing around with this, but it wasn't easy ignoring the left side of my brain. You know, that critical voice who just won't leave you alone? It was hard to resist the temptation to render the snot out of everything. I decided to let go and let my artistic side take over . . . I'm not a spontaneous person so this was a challenge. I wasn't sure where I was going to end up or if the trip was even worth it? I'm glad I went along for the ride.



I was happy with the "feeling" I captured . . . I look forward to working on the next piece.

16 Comments:

Blogger Caricature Girl said...

Love it.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Love it Jason, to leave the other areas loose and the face and hands somewhat tight has a great feel. The palette is very muted and gives the technique more power, really like the direction your going with this, keep it up!

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was totally worth it, I think you will find some cool stuff or style if you're trying to take things further. Keep experimenting.
Btw, previous post is way too awesome.

9:25 AM  
Blogger w said...

Awesome! Really like this approach. BTW your "sketching with" dvd has helped me immensely. Thanks

9:29 AM  
Blogger Eugen Caitaz said...

Hi Jason! Very beautiful work, this work is one of the best, because I like to play on guitar too! Jason, maybe you can draw me with guitar, just draw my face in a place of Thom face! Before thanks! :)

11:12 AM  
Blogger Philipp Banken said...

Simply wonderful Jason.
Thom's really lookin'
like he's got the blues..
great expression!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Aaron Wilkin said...

I like it!!!! Sometimes loose helps to set a mood!!!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Joe Hox said...

Big fan! I like the subtle warm tones in the hair and clothes and the energy in the hair ROCKS!

4:26 PM  
Blogger billspaintingmn said...

I'd call it 'Seiler unplugged'
It shows your talent without all the studio gear and recording equipment.
When your thursty, nothing works like a glass of cool water. This is a glass of cool water!

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

VERYYY COOL!!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Will Appledorn said...

very cool!

i really enjoy going into a piece trying something new. and I'd also agree that i love painterly sketchy work full of energy, this is one of those.

thanks for sharing

6:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It seems that i even hear his voice!

12:50 AM  
Blogger charles Da Costa said...

Very very beautifil Jason !
I love the atmospere !

10:02 AM  
Blogger Adrian Lubbers said...

I agree. The loose paintings and sketches always have so much more life to them than fully finished work. I think everybody would agree, but nobody knows why!

11:23 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

loosen away whatever you do will be great. I've been using house painting brushes. Very freeing! Bumpted into SC the other day, he's loving your Mookie painting!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Juan M. Santana said...

great jason!!!

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners