Friday, June 04, 2010

Get 'yer sketch on! - 15 Minute Ape sketch.



I have a challenge or goal today for all you artists out there! Try to get your sketch on today, give yourself a small window of time, 10, or 15 minutes. Sketch anything, it doesn't matter. Do this throughout the day . . . you don't have to post the work . . . there's no need to share it on facebook or anywhere else if you don't want to. I think there's a lot of pressure sometimes to post everything you do, and I get the feeling that a lot of you out there are too worried about what everyone thinks . . . but remember this is for you and your growth as an artist. Think of these sketches similar to stretching before running a marathan. And for you "caricaturists" out there . . . try drawing and sketching something other than caricature. Or, if you want to draw caricature, try caricaturing something other than people . . . mix things up a bit, and have fun!

9 Comments:

Blogger duanetheartist said...

Great advice! I have done some caricatures lately and that is not my norm. It seems to give me a better perspective when drawing a portrait with no exaggerations. Quick sketches can be really fun! Thanks Jason!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Paul McCall said...

"I think there's a lot of pressure sometimes to post everything you do, and I get the feeling that a lot of you out there are too worried about what everyone thinks . . . but remember this is for you and your growth as an artist. Think of these sketches similar to stretching before running a marathon."
Thanks for that reminder, Jason. I've felt that pressure for quite awhile now and realized it has inhibited my sketching. With the plethora of "sketchbooks" being published and sold plus postings on blogs and facebook it has become intimidating to just doodle, sketch, think on paper without constantly thinking of making a finished piece that will be held up for scrutiny every time so as not to deprive oneself of another possible revenue stream.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great idea! great sketch!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great scketch!!! and thanks for the advice...

1:23 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Great advice Jason, its so important to do the warm ups.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Fabrício Pontes said...

Seiler greetings master, I am a great admirer of his work
and you're my main reference for me, I come every day to your blog
and have all your work saved on my computer
I am studying them and after that I started to do this gave an improved finalization of mine, thanks for sharing your talent
if you have msn and if I can add it would be very grateful for the honor
my msn is f.pontescartunista @ hotmail.com
ok i add!
already thanks!
a big hug!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Faboun'e said...

SSSOOOooo cool .. !
Like that... I'm creating some animals and caracters and this is a good thing for me to see that... ;)

3:11 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Right on!.. or Draw on! Was out with my son in Millennium Park sketching the Gehry bandshell and passers-by... challenging and most of all fun. Would have been cool to see your gorilla wandering around and have enough bananas at hand to keep him in a good mood - great drawing amigo.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Bakkanekko said...

So cool! Do you use reference for this?

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners