Tuesday, July 19, 2011

WIRED magazine article on caricature


Painting of the author.

Nearly a year ago now, I was interviewed by WIRED magazine, you can read the article

HERE.

The article was "supposed" to feature caricature art by me and a few other artists. I sent them several examples of my paintings but instead, they decided to drop that idea and have a few of the artists from the interview draw or paint the author. I was busy with other work and only had a couple hours on the weekend to do a quick painting of Ben, the author. Even though it was done in a rush, I still enjoyed how it turned out . . . of course, I would have liked a little more time to refine the likeness a little more but I guess there can always be something to complain about, right? :) As for reference, I prefer natural pictures, not posed, especially when I am unfamiliar with the subject as I was in this case. The reference pics that I was given were taken in a studio and were posed. Not much of any character was showing through at all. The lighting and coloring was horrible too. So, to fix that, I had to do some photoshop color correction to my references to get them looking someone "normal" before I started my painting. It seemed to do that trick . . . overall, I think it's a good article, and I'm honored to be featured in it as well.


Step by Step









This is a picture that I took of the magazine . . . my full painting is featured here in the front part of the magazine and a cropped version of it is featured in the actual article.



This is what the cover looks like of the current issue of WIRED. Fun article about what caricatures can teach us about facial recognition. I was interviewed and featured in this article along with a few other caricaturists. Pick up a copy if you can.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice step-by-step Jason. Thanks for sharing!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Lash LeRoux said...

Jason -- awesome caricature as always. Normally, I would take this opportunity to go on and on about how great the artwork and tutorial are (which they are!). However, I want to especially thank you for sharing the background info regarding your ref pics. "Posed" photos that don't really show the personality of the subject are something I think all of us who draw a lot of commissioned caricatures have to deal with. So thanks for the tips and advice on how we can improve our ref photos so they will look more natural. I know this will especially be a big help to me.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Marvin Lorenz said...

This is soo awesome jason!! It looks like a photo... very natural feel to it. Awesome job! Congrats! And a big THANX for sharing the steps and the tips!:)

Lash LeRoux, you are so right!

1:46 PM  
Blogger Carl Buell said...

I wish there were other (better?) words Jason, but brilliant, awesome, and GREAT(!) have been overused here. The drawing is always top top-notch, and again... you... paint... THE BEST human skin I've ever seen.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Patrick Strogulski said...

Great work, your use of textures always amaze me.

3:40 AM  
Blogger rwpike said...

Very nice! Thanks for the WIP

10:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I read the article last week and really enjoyed how they explained that caricature drawing is more in tune with the way our mind's remember faces than a photograph; that a caricature might actually be more helpful than a sketch artist rendering in catching a criminal.

I also thought your painting had the best likeness of him! Kudos!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Dudu Magalhãess said...

Hi
Forgive the text, I am Brazilian and I am translating.
The one time that I follow the updates of your blog, and his work became a reference for me an exhalation.
Congratulations for the work.
Hug.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous gayle kabaker said...

read the story in Wired today and while looking for the article online found your blog - I teach fashion illustration at the Academy of Art in San Francicso - the online school - this week we were on faces and caricatures so i posted your blog for them to read about you and the Wired article for extra credit!
Gayle Kabaker

8:22 PM  
Anonymous obat penyempitan tulang belakang herbal said...

i'm like for website after reading all in the page

obat kista tiroid tanpa operasi

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners