Monday, October 10, 2011

Steve Jobs for Adweek.



Steve Jobs portrait for Adweek.

It was a true honor to be asked to do another portrait for Adweek and even more of an honor that it was to be a tribute for Mr. Steve Jobs. I felt it was important to capture his warmth and passion for life, but to be honest, I felt a fair amount of pressure to say the least. I took this on with the intention of creating something iconic, an image that I hope honors Steve and his family.




This cover was done as a tribute to Steve Jobs, a special three-page gatefold cover. Two illustrations and a photo. The second illustration was done by artist Jorge Colombo, on an iPAD.




Last Wednesday, I was away with my family at an apple orchard of all places. I hadn't heard the news about the passing of Steve Jobs until that night as I drove back to Chicago. My agent called me and told me Adweek wanted me to paint a portrait of Steve. As mentioned above, I was honored to do this painting but felt a great responsibility to get it right. On top of that I had two days to do it. I gathered as much reference for Steve as I could and got to work. I based my image off of two different pictures but noticed subtle things within his expression from other images and brought them all together to create what I hope "feels" like Steve Jobs.



Detail of painting. Even though I did not know Steve personally, he's had such an enormous impact on the world, it felt as if I knew him and it was important to me to not create a sad image, but instead an image that would bring happiness and joy, and hopefully peace to those who knew him. As I painted, I tried to think about his family and what this might be like for them.



Sketches and block in . . . I'd like to thank Nick Mrozowski the art director for thinking of me for another cover, I really appreciate it!

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Hasifkhan said...

Woow jason ..This is cool ,you got is passion in the eyes..those eyes have lot to tell..we miss him.
Thank you very much for sharing

10:58 AM  
Blogger duanetheartist said...

Excellent work! Nice memorial and great inspirationh!

11:59 AM  
Blogger chris brothers said...

Really nice work...I think his family will love it.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Maximus Doom said...

Absolutely incredible work! Its the tiny flashes of something undisclosed with humor behind his eyes that make it magical...it was probably...."but wait til u see what i have after ipad!" look.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Logan Pearsall said...

Unbelievable! Really, really great!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Trey Surtees said...

Great job Jason, you caught the expression we all know.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Kyle Gutke said...

Fantastic work Jason. Always an inspiration. 56 is just too young to go.

-Kyle Gutke

9:47 PM  
Blogger Adam Temple said...

Gorgeous. A beautiful tribute Jay.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Cosmin Podar said...

I so do like the new painterly style , congrats man

2:03 AM  
Blogger Tim Bye said...

Amazing - it's quite clear why the AD's do think of you! :o)

4:35 AM  
Blogger Fitzzz said...

Wow! Very nice.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Daniel Domingos said...

Great job, Jason.
I loved the colors and facial expressions that you created.
Congratulations on the talent and sensitivity.


Daniel Domingo

9:22 AM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

Motha @#$% Gorgeous!!!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Alec said...

You've really captured his earnestness, which, to me, was always what made him so compelling. You've done him justice.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Tremendous !

1:42 PM  
Blogger EDEN said...

BRILLIANT !!

9:14 AM  
Blogger rwpike said...

They chose the right man for the job. Beautiful tribute Jason.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful ! you've got gold in your fingers...

www.davidratajczak.blogspot.fr

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners