Saturday, March 27, 2010

9 Hour turnaround, Nancy Pelosi for The Weekly Standard



I broke a new personal record with this one . . . Nine hours from start to finish.
When you get a call to paint Nancy Pelosi, you take it! Her face was well worth the struggle I undertook to finish this deadline! I was given this assignment late Thursday night. The final art is due by the end of the next day . . .

I didn't get to work until around 8:00 a.m. Did a really quick sketch, got it approved, and by 9:30 a.m. I was painting like a mad-man. To start and finish an illustration in one day is a challenge to say the least. You've got to always be thinking a few steps ahead. For example, I remember that when I was painting the nose, I was thinking about how I was going to paint the chalk board.

There is no time to sit back and reflect, it's just GO TIME! Paint, paint, paint! I realized I wasn't going to have time to eat lunch unless I got some help, and luckily my wife came through for me and bought me a sandwich from Subway, which I literally ate with my left hand while painting with my right.

This type of a deadline can be stressful, but I also find that there is an energy and a life to the work that I really enjoy. I like the painterly look as well. And though there may be little things here and there that bother me about this piece, I truly had a blast, developed new ways to paint faster, and realized new ways "how not to do things" . . . I love my job!







Dunce Pelosi Detail.




Final product.

24 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

This is absolutely brilliant Jason! You seem to thrive on these tight deadlines - the energy and vibrancy really comes through.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

Very awesome man. I love the sculptural quality your looseness achieved on the face.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Aaron Wilkin said...

So cool man!!!! I can't believe you were able to pull that off in nine hours!!!!! Awesome job!!!!!!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Jon Moss said...

If you ever decide to do an advanced schoolism course 'caricaturing on steriods' where you let us into the secrets of how the hell you achieve these results in such little time, I'll be the first one to sign up to it. There's a real fine line between a feeling of inspiration and the desire to quit when viewing your work. Seriously though Jason, Outstanding work, I'm blown away.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Dominic Philibert said...

I can't stop laughing man!
Excellent job! ;)

1:31 PM  
Blogger greg oakes said...

lol... amazing detail; bravo jason!! :)

1:37 PM  
Blogger Barry O'Donoghue said...

great piece Jason. Nine hours and you still had time to draw a little Bart Simpson on the chalk board!

2:10 PM  
Blogger kencoogan said...

Amazing work Jason! It has tons of energy and I love the streaks on the chalkboard too!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Scribbler said...

You're a machine!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Eric Zampieri said...

I love it!!!

The drawing and the painting are superb!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Oh my god man your a beast! to do that painting in 9 hours is amazing! you'r incredible Jason! Congrats and love the painting, I'm still laughing on how good and humorous this painting is. Truly amazing! Bravo Jason!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Superb - she looks like glazed clay.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Awe inspiring work, Jason!

7:56 AM  
Blogger ...Larry said...

I could see nine hours easily burned on the hair alone! Well done, Jason..

7:57 AM  
Blogger w said...

Incredible! Love the looseness of it too!

2:44 PM  
Blogger ian said...

now you're just showing off!! ;)

incredible in any time frame, the quickness just adds to the mastery.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Bob Canada said...

This would be awesome work if it took 9 days, but 9 hours? Amazing.

You realize the door you've opened though, don't you? Now that they know you can do work like this in 9 hours, next time they'll want it in 6!

10:00 PM  
Blogger alex fine illustration said...

Amazing!!! Even the chalkboard is extremely well rendered and that Bart Simpson brings back some memories. I used to draw Bart on everything!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Mark Heng said...

Inspirational, man. Ouch!!! Getting ever closer to biting the bullet and taking yer course...

5:16 PM  
Blogger Gary Locke said...

VERRRY COOOOL!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Will Appledorn said...

fantastic stuff!

some great humor and a ton of character, just fun to look at.

all the more impressive with the deadline

7:16 PM  
Blogger Marcelo Vignali said...

Dang! That's really good.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Trey Surtees said...

You are a Zen Freight Train my friend. Great work.

2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classico....Priceless mang...

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners