Friday, April 13, 2007

Today, I'm greatful.




Last night was an awakening of sorts for me and the other artists who share this office space with me. I had just finished two portraits for Bloomberg magazine, and was shutting down my computer for the day when outside our building we heard 3 gun shots, then 4 more. The shots were loud, they almost felt as if they were in the studio shooting. There wasn't time to get down, it happened very fast. One of the bullets found it's way into my studio, it went through the styrofoam that we have stuffed in a window, in the summer we put an air conditioner in that space. Anyways, there's piping along the ceiling that the bullet hit, from there it hit the floor. We found the bullet. It was only three feet away from me, the event could of been tragic.

I'm grateful to be alive, to be able to hold my daughters and wife, but to be honest, being grateful that I was alive wasn't what was going through my mind. I was very frustrated at the situation, all I could think about was the "what if's", or "it could of's".

We brought the bullet to the police, I heard later that the police went into our studio and took photos of everything for evidence. Today I am grateful. God had his angels around us yesterday, fo shizzel.

Anyways, my posts today are of a quick watercolor sketch I did of Putin, and then an hour and half study from the sketch with oils. Both for fun, just getting the paints out and pushing them around, a little theorpy as I like to call it. I've been honored with the task of judging an illustration contest along with Wouter Tulp and Court Jones for the NCN (National Caricaturists Network). I was asked if I could dontate a piece of art or a print or something for the winner, so I will be donating this oil sketch of Putin. It should be interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll come up with.

7 Comments:

Blogger sensei said...

When the spirit needs you, you are protected.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Jeremy Townsend (JERT) said...

glad your still with us dude...

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow--glad that bullet didn't get any closer than it did.

I was happy to discover your blog recently--I've enjoyed your work in the Wittenburg Door (especially your Chesterton and Napoleon Dynamite from a few months ago).

Keep it up!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Tim Bye said...

Super pictures! I really love your watercolour work! ps glad no one was hurt

5:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow... insane story. Glad you're still with us Jason

6:59 AM  
Blogger bog_art said...

Everything happen for a reason.. maybe you still have to show us a lot more before you done with your task here.. It is good that nothing bad happened.. for you, for your family and for the people that follow your amazing work..

11:02 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thanks everyone, yeah, it was an experience, that's for sure. I'm happy to be here for my family. I just keep thinking about how horrible it would be for my girls to have to grow up without their father because of something stupid like this? I'm greatful for sure, spent a lot of time with my girls this weekend!

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners