Saturday, September 05, 2009

Taschen's Illustration Now/98lb Obama

NEWS

Taschen's Illustration Now has just been released. Congratulations to Kako, Robin Eley, Kyung Soon Park, Brian Hubble, Jason Seiler and Koren Shadmi of Levy Creative Management for being featured in the book. Check it out here.





This is another quick turnaound for The Weekly Standard. My 31rst painting for them. Started Thursday and was due Friday afternoon. I decided to have fun and try something a bit different style-wise.

Everytime I draw Obama I try to do something different, it's fun to see the different ways he can be drawn. And under such short deadlines, there's not much time to plan or develop, you just have to get the work done and do the best possible job that you can in the time given.

I enjoy working with The Weekly Standard because the jobs are always challenging. My deadlines are fairly insane. It's typical for me to get a phone call Thursday night, and the final art is due the next day, Friday afternoon. The jobs first start with me finding references for expression and so forth, then I take photo references and set up lighting for additional reference. I do a few sketches, wait for approval, when I have that, I begin painting. With this piece I wanted to try something different from my usual style and look. I liked the idea of an outline encasing the painted forms, the contrast with the background has a nice effect.






Detail of head.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Aaron Wilkin said...

Very cool Obama!!! I think your style choice works really well.

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Page 346 for those that are interested.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Thomas Fluharty said...

Brilliant bro. I think this is my favorite of Obama. I
don't think I ve seen anyone do him like this BRILLIANT for sure.LOve the drips too! love you~T

9:08 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Great man!! Love the articulation of the whole drawing and also the silhouette. Great painting!!!!

10:29 PM  
Blogger charles Da Costa said...

Very very expressive, I like attitude, It's funny Jason!
congratulation.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Eric Zampieri said...

Ha ha ha, great!

4:55 PM  
Blogger ian said...

I think one of your better Obamas. Those deadlines are crazy! Even more impressive when considering the burning hot rush on these.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Likewhywer said...

Great wordpress blog here.. It¡¯s hard to find quality writing like yours these days. I really appreciate people like you! take care cheap Christian Louboutin outlet

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners