Saturday, December 01, 2007

Fairwell Henry Hyde







This is a new illustration that I did for this week's issue of The Weekly Standard. I was originally going to paint John Bolton, and had started to block in his face early Thursday. The day was nearly finished when I got the call that Henry Hyde had passed away and they needed an illustration of him instead. Well, let's just say I was busy enough and couldn't work on the Henry Hyde piece that night, so I had to start Friday morning, and have it finished by late Friday afternoon. This is by far the the quickest turn around as of yet, for a painting anyways. I started at 7:00 a.m. and finished around 7:00 p.m. I first painted the entire piece in black and white and then layered color into it. There are some bits about it that I'm not 100% happy with, but for the crunch I was under, I'm pleased with the end result. I now know how to do it better and faster next time around!

12 Comments:

Blogger William K. Moore said...

Let's hear it for the Crunchmeister! Unbelieveable - and the results are true pro work. Man if you can work like this under pressure.. well then what's the limit? Always raising the bar my friend...

1:18 AM  
Blogger bog_art said...

You did a great piece even if you were under pressure.. wow!!

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Très bien, vraiement réussi!!
Bravo

12:22 PM  
Blogger Rowan Dodds said...

Very cool Jason - especially for such a tight turnaround! The frame breakaway is great and I really like how you've treated his glasses.

5:54 PM  
Blogger sensei said...

The life of an illustrator you gotta love it!!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Mark Heng said...

Great work, Jason, and all the more impressive now that we know the situation you were in! How did you color the black/white image? Did you use a "Color" blending layer? Tech talk...

6:25 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thank you all sooooo much. It was a crazy deadline, but feels good to have pulled it off in the way that I did. As far as how I did this?

Well, I am teaching some of this in my shoolism course, so I don't want to give too much away, but I basically used color, multiply and a few others in layers to add the color. The technique relys on how finished the final black and white is, that is 80% of the work right there, the color takes anywhere from a half an hour to an hour to finish. Of course if I had more time, I could have spent at least a couple hours coloring and could have made it a bit tighter.

Thanks again, your words are encouraging, I appreciate the feedback!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Mark Heng said...

Yer secret's safe with me! I'm working on a few pieces right now that I'd like to get done pronto, so Thanks for the hints!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Tim Bye said...

Just amazing!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

Yeah, great work Jason!! There's a quote I heard from somewhere that I really believe is true: "A professional can do great work even when he doesn't feel like it."

That describes this piece, I think.

10:12 PM  
Blogger James Chiang said...

phenomenal caricatures! wow. very inspiring.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Bob Fingerman said...

It's a really nice piece and far better than Hyde deserves.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners