Monday, February 02, 2009

DARWIN . . . ScRiBbLe . . .


This is a very loose and quick sketch that I did last night while watching some T.V. with my wife. It was fun because I decided to do the entire sketch all in scribbles. I kept my hand and grip loose . . . . I just moved my hand around rarely lifting it off the surface. Sometimes when I sketch and watch T.V. at the same time I get into a sort of "trance", I'm not sure where the "time" has gone or what I was doing? The sketch seems to just "draw itself!"

I wanted to take this time to just say how important I feel it is as artists to draw and sketch every day. it doesn't matter what kind of artist you are or hope to be, becoming a better artist takes work, time and energy. You need to draw and sketch on a daily basis, "it won't happen on its own".

Friends of mine that have become successful in the "art" or "illustration" world don't waste time playing video games or socializing, they spend most of their time working on jobs and when they're not doing that they're sketching in sketch books, or working on new techniques on their painting, trying out new palettes and so forth . . . "it won't happen on it's own".

Somethings to try if you're wanting to improve your work as an artist.

1. Give yourself assignments. For example I must do at least one or two sketches a day, and at least one or two finished drawings or paintings a month.

2. Draw or paint from life. I believe it's important to get out of your house and experience the world and draw, paint, loosen up a bit . . . it's therapeutic! For me, I try to get out at least once a week and sketch in a cafe or restaurant, "smell" the Chicago air, and "hear" the sounds of the city. I also love to get out and do oil sketches, or plein air.

Remember, "it won't happen on it's own".

30 Comments:

Blogger TSL said...

I appreciate this post very much, one for giving me my first chuckle of the day due to your Darwin, and secondly because everything you wrote is absolutely on the mark. Enjoy your site very much.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Brett W. McCoy said...

Nice scribble of ol' Chuck, who turns 200 next week! Thanks for the inspiring words, it's hard sometimes to stay artistically inspired when you are working in a "day job", have a family, etc.

10:17 AM  
Blogger ramanjit said...

hey sir ,
each word of your post is realy touch my heart and i prommis you & to my self to do what every you say or wana to teach us.thanks! you always sound like a teacher and i realy thankful to you for this.
god bless you!!!

11:03 AM  
Blogger ramanjit said...

and one thing more your sketch is awesome as always!!!!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Sandro Cabral said...

Muito boa sua arte, tens um belo estilo.
Abrço

11:05 AM  
Blogger Neil Davies said...

That's wonderful Jason, I love it. :)

11:09 AM  
Blogger sensei said...

Thank you.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Amen to that!! Very true man! gotta keep up with the sketches and always push yourself as artist to get better in every way! Like you said "it wont happen on its own"

12:10 PM  
Blogger RAWLS said...

Beautiful.

1:32 PM  
Blogger O MEU MUNDO ... said...

I realy like your drawings.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Asier M. López said...

Hey Jason awesome scribble,really funny...lost for some seconds in the static of the background and moving my eyes like i was under hypnosis with a silly smile on my face....And the donkey illustration is great too.Really love when you do non caricature stuff.
A bunch of truths btw...

4:43 PM  
Blogger Will Appledorn said...

amen to that.

and a great sketch, man.

6:16 PM  
Blogger J.BOSCO said...

great is works,Jason Seiler!

J.Bosco

7:31 PM  
Blogger Seo Kim said...

awesome drawing, and great advice!

11:55 PM  
Blogger Ryan Wood said...

Great post Jason, thanks for the inspiration!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are so right!! I have similar assignments I give myself, and I see it as a good way to improve my skills. I took the liberty of placing your inspiring words on my new blog: http://www.illustrationandinspiration.blogspot.com/

2:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

awesome sketch and great words of wisdom Jason!

6:03 AM  
Blogger Richard Watts said...

You're absolutely right, with anything in life the maxim that genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration applies.
Another good quote I heard is a definition of a professional as someone who does his best work when he least feels like it!

6:20 AM  
Blogger Nelson Santos said...

Ab absolutely great "scribble" man if you can consider it a "scribble do". The tips on to improve as an artist couldn't be more right as well.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Belmhern said...

fantastic!, jason! fantastic!

10:30 AM  
Blogger charles Da Costa said...

Hi JASON, that's beautiful !!! I love it.Thank you JASON

12:53 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

great drawing and great post! i agree it wont happen on it own!

I have been trying to draw everyday for the last 3 or 4 months and I can definitely see improvement. In fact the improvement led to confidence which led to my first life drawing class!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Really great feel with this drawing- I think you should do some more of these. I think it's always pleasing to see a drawing or painting which contain both loose and tight qualities.

I agree that you have to draw every day and definitely work on your art, and I think something like video games or possibly TV can be a hindrance to that process, but I think the idea of socializing every now and then is not a hindrance but actually healthy and beneficial to a life. I know you're probably speaking in terms of excess, however, and I can agree to that. I know for myself- not being married or having a girl-friend, and not seeing my friends that often, I need to get out of the studio every now and then and speak with other humans.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Paul Moyse said...

Wise words indeed Jason, I can't remember the last time I watched a movie all the way through without picking up a pencil and paper, and then ignoring the rest of the film. I get bored unless I've got something to draw or paint.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

LOVE this one Jason!

9:32 PM  
Blogger kencoogan said...

Totally agree with you Jason, I've lost count of the number of used sketch books, bits of paper etc. lying around from almost daily use!
Wonderful sketch of Darwin too! The man was an absolute genius!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Rob Lawrence said...

Wonderful sentiments, Jason! Thanks for the inspiration.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Tooninator said...

wicked wicked style on this one. So much to take in.

3:46 PM  
Blogger J. Anthony Kosar said...

Even through the scratchyness, the figure is so strong, in fact the scribbles gives it more character! Beautiful!

2:44 AM  
Blogger R Kamal said...

love the way you brought the character using free lines...and the way you handled the white beard..just amazing

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners