Monday, September 06, 2010

They Call Me Mad-Book Cover



This is a cover I painted nearly a year ago for Penguin Group, Berkley Trade. The book won't be out officially until December 7th, but until then you can pre-order by going here.





Like most jobs, this too was a very short deadline, I believe I had a four days from start to finish? The funny thing, is that I painted this last December, 2009, and as mentioned above the book won't "officially" be available until December 2010! The more work I do, the more I feel that we, as artists are never going to have the most perfect situation or circumstance to work with? So, I do what I can and I do the best that I can with what I have to work with . . . making the most of everything!

The art on the actual cover for this book will print quite small. I believe that the characters will be 4" in height? So, no need for too much detail . . . for me, it was more important how the image looked smaller and at a distance than how it looked zoomed in and up close.
One of the challenges for a piece like this is that all the references for these two fellas are in black and white. This was also part of the fun.



19 Comments:

Blogger Neil Davies said...

Awesome, I love this! I'm just about to have a go at Einstein myself soon too. Brilliant work as always Jason :)

8:48 AM  
Blogger Attractive Art Community (Big Sam) said...

Superb Seiler!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Matt Ryder said...

Looks fantastic from a distance and zoomed in, congrats Jason.

11:57 AM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

I suppose they could have called you mad if you missed the deadline Jason... but that didn't happen - one more time. Impressive lighting on the figures - follows the rules of physics and you know Einstein wouldn't put up with anything less. Excellent!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Awesome Jason! Geeez you painted this in such a short period of time! Amazing! Congrats again Jason.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Damion009 said...

we do, we do call you mad. MAD AWESOME!!! yet another great blha blha blha blha BLHA! good job lol.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Adam Temple said...

Great piece Jay! Brilliant ppl, brilliantly painted. Sheer awesome.

7:28 PM  
Blogger AHMADiTo OrTeGa said...

dude, you remind me of my childhood (10 years old learning caricaturing) when I used to look in the mirror mimic people faces and poses before I start drawing caricatures of them. at that time there were no digital cameras otherwise I would have done what you are doing now. Anyway, this is a very good way to keep you focused on the face expression and pose that you think pulls out the character of the your caricature subject... and as always, great results on your work Jason ;)

3:37 AM  
Blogger Tim Wilmsen said...

It looks splendid! well done Jason (like always) Tim

5:40 AM  
Blogger mrityunjay said...

wow!!

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great Jason!

10:31 AM  
Blogger duanetheartist said...

Really nice work! The only reason I know what Tesla actually looks like is because I just watched a movie called the illusionist. Tesla was played by David Bowie and so I wanted to know a little more about the real Tesla. You nailed him!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Mike Eppe said...

WOW ! Love it !

3:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

These are awesome!

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work, as always. Nikola Tesla, great Croatian scientist does deserve his share of fame. He was the most brilliant inventor in recent history.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Btw, the movie title with Bowie playing Tesla was The Prestige, not the Illusionist.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Steve Roberts said...

Beautiful work Jason, as always - have you always used photo references of yourself for poses or is this a recent method?

12:30 AM  
Anonymous chris white said...

Great picture and hooray for Tesla!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Mind Miner said...

Great pictures. Liked how you did the reference to make it easier on yourself.

Never knew there was a Tesla movie out there. I've read his auto-biography though. Amazing mind, amazing person as well, though a lil eccentric with the pigeons/hotel thing but I liked that part too.

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners