The Incredible Shrinking Budget!
New cover I painted this week. This one was a lot of fun to do, and as usual, these turnarounds are fairly quick. I started sketches and ideas on Friday and the final was due the following Tuesday! I really enjoy doing these covers for the Observer, this is my third cover for them and I hope to do many more!
Close up crop of my final art.
Detail of Bloomie. Because I knew he would be printed quite small on the cover, I didn't bother painting him too large. I always paint larger than the print size . . . but on this one, I decided to keep it fairly loose and simple . . . it's perhaps a bit more cartoony, which I thought was fun to do.
This is my first, very rough thumbnail. This was done in about 5 minutes, just putting down lines quickly, giving birth to the idea . . . it's easier for me to get it out and then develop it more as I go.
The idea begins to form . . .
Still developing the idea and composition . . .
Steps, from initial head sketch to block in of color . . .
Rough head studies . . .