Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Gary Clark Jr. for Rolling Stone



I did this painting last week for the music reviews section of Rolling Stone. It was a quick turnaround. I was called for the job at 3:00 p.m. last Thursday, and the final was due 3:00 p.m. Friday, the following day.

I truly enjoy every chance I get to paint for Rolling Stone, and I enjoy working with the art directors as well. For me, painting musicians for Rolling Stone is a dream come true, it's something I've always wanted to do.

I really enjoyed my time while working on this piece. Like the "blues", I just went for it, painted with emotion and feeling . . . and over all, my goal was to capture character and mood.

It's not caricature, but just as exciting for me. For me the challenge for capturing a person's essence and character is even greater when not caricatured, and so it's fulfilling for me to paint a piece like this and try to capture what I was seeing in my head.




I enjoy seeing how the work looks in print.



These are a few of my really quick thumbnails. The point of these were to help me come up with a nice framing, or composition and because of my short turn around, it had to be done quickly.




This is my color sketch, working out types of colors that I wanted to use.



This is an earlier phase in the painting that I saved to share some of the block in and process.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger ARI said...

Good details even wih so little time to finish it, The face is also in a natural way so that looks real. Good job

9:31 AM  
Blogger David Dunne Art said...

this is awesome man and the composition works really well I like how you have the guitar just cut in the corner work perfectlya and the colors/tones really suit the mood

9:41 AM  
Blogger Mike Rosenbaum Studio said...

So moody, and feels different from what I am used to seeing from you which I like. Showing that range my man! Well done as always. Hope all is well.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Marvin Lorenz said...

Yeah! This is so awesome Jason! The mood is so nice in this piece. Congrats!! ..and I wish you will have a lot more chances to paint for the Rolling Stone!:) YOU deserve it!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Impresionante Jason, eres mi mesias de la ilustracion. :)

10:21 AM  
Blogger Adam Temple said...

Beautiful.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Noah Stokes said...

Always learn from your insight. I like the comment - "inside my head." I need to get more in touch with that. Sometimes I feel like I am exploring without a map instead of visualizing the outcome and using that thought as my guide. Great work as always

11:56 AM  
Blogger Cosmin Podar said...

Niece piece man, love the colors

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Chuck Li said...

This is great! Much more expressive than some of your other work, even without the extreme caricaturization.

4:33 PM  
Blogger EDEN said...

Excellent, congratulations master!!

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners